Spring is here and summer is rapidly approaching. Memorial Day marks the beginning of the outdoor entertaining season. That means long hot days and nights and more pesky mosquitoes. We’ll give you the tips you need to keep those mosquitoes at bay.
Some people are more prone to mosquito bites than others. Women who are pregnant or people with Type O blood are a favorite amongst mosquitoes. Actually, 85% of mosquitoes attraction has to do with genetics, which we can’t control. However, there are some factors we can control that will help to keep us protected.
- Avoid wearing dark colors. Black, navy & red can attract the Aedes aegypti mosquito which is a known transmitter of Zika virus, Dengue fever and Chikungunya
- Cut back on the alcohol intake. Studies by the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA) show that even 1 beer can boost your risk of being bitten.
- Read your skin care labels. Moisturizers that contain lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acids can attract mosquitoes and should be avoided
- Keep your feet clean. Smelly feet are irresistible to mosquitoes! The bacteria that grow on our feet draw them in so keep those feet clean and change your socks regularly.
- Wear mosquito repellent. There are many option here. Natural repellents such as essential oils like citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint, cypress, rose geranium, bergamot and lemon can be very effective.
- Clean up your yard. Make sure to empty any standing water in your yard and keep your lawn and surrounding trees and bushes trimmed. It only takes a small amount of water for mosquitoes to breed in. Make sure to check for water in flower pots, old tires, wagons, buckets etc.
Follow these tips and check out our line of natural, effective mosquito and pest repellents. It’s time to enjoy your spring and summer. Don’t get chased in again! Click here to see how our products can help you take back your yard.
Happy Memorial Day,
Sprinkler Magician Team